Monday, November 22, 2010

Changing my router's mac address?

So i'm trying to change my IP address, since i'm using a router and since the lease time is too long to wait out, the only way I see to do this is to use the clone mac address feature.



The only problem is I don't know what to put in the fields. There are five i can choose from, the internet MAC address, the local MAC address, the wireless network MAC address, my PCs MAC address, and then the one that is already in the fields by default when i choose to clone.



i was told that i should also change the last four characters of the MAC address when i apply the settings, though i'm not sure if this is true or not (any combination of characters from A-F, 0-9). I cloned my PC's mac and changed the last four characters but there was no connection afterwards.



My questions are: which MAC address should i put in the fields? Should I change the last four characters at all? how long would it take before my ISP will issue that MAC address with an IP address? is it possible that my ISP may not be assign IPs like this?



I'm using a linksys model WRT150N, there are multiple people in my wireless network, and my ISP is TVmax (just putting this information in case it helps at all.)Changing my router's mac address?
some ISP associate your device's MAC with your account. so you cannot get online unless the mac you use is tied to a valid account. if you change your mac, you must call and have them update their records. they will not give a lease to an unknown mac. or sometimes they will, but they provide service at a very reduced speed.



if you change the mac and get no connection, it sounds like your ISP may do this. maybe you can call and have them update your account with whatever you changed it to.



also remember that all macs on a broadcast domain must be unique, so for instance no two devices on your internal lan can have the same mac, and the device that faces the ISP must not conflict with some other customer in that area.

No comments:

Post a Comment