Monday, November 22, 2010

Would my IP address change if I'm moving to another area in the city?

I am located in Toronto and have Rogers Express Internet. I am wondering if my IP address would change if I move to another location within the city? For example, my current IP is...



xx.xxx.zz.zzz



I know how to change z value through my router ';MAC ADDRESS'; configuration. Would the x value change?Would my IP address change if I'm moving to another area in the city?
Your IP address will be probably change but not the x value because every ISP fall in some IP ranges usually between z values.

You can learn more about IP addressing, IP ranges, tracking and classification on

http://www.ipaddresslocation.org or http://www.find-ip-address.orgWould my IP address change if I'm moving to another area in the city?
That depends. Your ISP has a certain IP range in its posession. The first part of the IP address belongs to your ISP and therefore cannot be changed, even if you have a dynamic IP address. If you have a static IP address now and you do not switch ISP, you will remain the same IP address at the new location. If you stick to your current ISP, but you have a dynamic IP address, it wil change every now and then, just like it does now. If you switch ISP, you will end up with a different static or dynamic IP address.
You will likely get a new IP address, but odds are heavy that the first two numbers will stay the same. It all depends on Rogers, what size of IP pool they have, and how they distribute it over their networks.



Look up your current IP at:

http://www.whatismyip.com/tools/ip-whois

and look in the results to see what size pool rogers has for the subnet you are in. Rogers may have more pools that don't show up in that result, but at least you will get a ';start'; in where you sit with IP addresses.

No comments:

Post a Comment