Monday, November 22, 2010

How do I find a new IP address on Mac Leopard?

I need to change my IP address but I don't know what number I change it to. I know how to get into the network and HOW to change my IP address, but I don't know what numbers i change it to.How do I find a new IP address on Mac Leopard?
You have no direct control over your IP address. It is assigned to you by your ISP. As such, you'd have to contact your ISP to have them change your IP address.How do I find a new IP address on Mac Leopard?
It's complicated, and it depends on if you have a router in between your computer and the Internet.



1. If yes, then the router is going to get the ';real'; IP address from your ISP and your computer is going to get it's IP from the router and will likely begin with 192.168.1. (assuming you're using DHCP). You can change it on your computer if you turn off DHCP and just change the last number, i.e. if it's 192.168.1.5 then make it 192.168.1.55 (or whatever, just don't go past 255).



2. If no router, then you can't really control the IP your computer gets, your ISP controls it. You can try powering off your modem and computer for a while in hopes they'll assign a new IP. You can also ask them for a static IP which will change it but they'll assign it and it'll probably cost $$

No comments:

Post a Comment