Monday, November 22, 2010

How did i change my IP address?

I was looking online on how to change my IP address and I read that if you change your MAC address you get a new IP address. I did that by changing just one number and then i clicked on two buttons labeled ';DHCP Release'; and ';DHCP Renew'; and after a minute or two i had a new IP address. did those two buttons i clicked have anything to do with it or do i just have to change the MAC address? BTW, i did all of this in my Linksys router model WRT54G if that helps.How did i change my IP address?
Well DHCP is Dynamic, your router holds a pool of addresses, if you release the one you are using and renew then it can give you a new one from it's pool of addresses. This is only an address between you and the router though remember, your internet address has not been changed as the router itself has that.How did i change my IP address?
dhcp release caused your machine to release its ip address - when you clicked on dhcp renew, you requested a new ip address from the router/switch/dhcp server, so yes, you need to click the dhcp release and renew.
IP addresses are rented out to providers who rent out the time to the consumer. Your address is not good for an infinite amount of time, so you must renew it (usually automatically done.) However, if your is expired/released, and a new customer joins in and takes the lowest avaliable one (yours,) when you renew yours, you will receive a new one.



Your MAC address is the same though.

No comments:

Post a Comment