Monday, November 22, 2010

Hiding my real mac address?

What's a free program to hide my real mac address (not change it)? Shareware one: Hide My Mac. Any free ones? It should be able to either hide my mac address completely, or show a fake one not actually being used. How is this possible? Hide My Mac is a good one I heard, but it costs money.Hiding my real mac address?
Why would you want to?



You cannot completely hide a MAC address from the network or your computer will not work.



If you are on a managed corporate network, changing your MAC address will not hide you from the system administrators since they will still be able to figure out what physical switchport you are connected to, even from your fake MAC address.



Ultimately, you will probably cause yourself more problems than it is possibly worth, but the MAC address of a computer can be changed from the Windows Operating system itself. For more info see www.microsoft.comHiding my real mac address?
Why do you want to hide your MAC? Easiest way is honestly just to put your computer behind a NAT router...3com or D-link or Linksys (ick) or whatever strikes your fancy.



And it's very easy to do in Linux.

No comments:

Post a Comment