Monday, November 22, 2010

How do I change my MAC address?

Okay I know how to do it, but I have problems. I have tried:

Several Programs

Editing Registry

Using a Locally Administered MAC Address (from device driver)



but nothing works. ipconfig /all AND my router say I am using the old MAC address.



The reason I'm doing this is to test my router's mac address filtering but it never disconnects me, even when I disconnect and reconnect myself.



I'm using:

Broadcom 802.11b/g WLAN wireless card

Windows Vista Home PremiumHow do I change my MAC address?
Under Windows, the MAC address is stored in a registry key. To change a MAC address, find that key with `regedit` and change it. Of course, Microsoft keeps moving the location of the key around!

Windows XP adds an option to change the MAC address on some network cards under the Advanced tab in the network adapter's Properties menu.

A much easier and more reliable method to change a MAC address under Windows is to use a software utility program designed to do this for you.

Macshift is a free utility that you can use to spoof your MAC address under Microsoft Windows.

How to change a MAC address in MacOS

Instructions for changing the MAC address on a Macintosh can be found at MAC Spoofing on the Macintosh.How do I change my MAC address?
The MAC address is like a serial number that is permanently burned into your network card. There is no way to change it. It is part of the hardware, not the software on your computer. You would have to install a different network card to change the MAC address.



There are ways in the Windows registry to ';spoof'; the address, but they are not permanent (Windows keeps changing it back). And you run the risk of duplicating an existing MAC address. Should you do that while the address is on line, all of your information may go to the computer instead of yours. A major security risk. Not recommended.



The ';spoof'; will fail if you try to filter it because Windows keeps correcting the address. So it is pointless to try that.

No comments:

Post a Comment