Saturday, November 20, 2010

How to change my MAC (Physical) Address?

Hello, being a student, i live in a student accommodation complex and in order to connect to the internet, we have to subscribe via the network portal. I have subscribed, but have recently i got a new computer, the receptionist told me to call the help desk in order to reset my authentication so i can get internet on my new computer. It turns out i need the internet before Monday (when the helpdesk is open), and i have been told it reads the computers mac address to determine whether the machine is authenticated.



How can i/Can i change my MAC address on my new computer to match my old computer so i can get on the internet?



If so, how.



Thanks in advance!How to change my MAC (Physical) Address?
his is depending on the type of Network Interface Card (NIC) you have. If you have a card that doesn’t support Clone MAC address, then you have to go to second method.



1. Go to Start-%26gt;Settings-%26gt;Control Panel and double click on Network and Dial-up Connections.

2. Right click on the NIC you want to change the MAC address and click on properties.

3. Under “General” tab, click on the “Configure” button

4. Click on “Advanced” tab

5. Under “Property section”, you should see an item called “Network Address” or ';Locally Administered Address';, click on it.

6.On the right side, under “Value”, type in the New MAC address you want to assign to your NIC. Usually this value is entered without the “-“ between the MAC address numbers.

7. Goto command prompt and type in “ipconfig /all” or “net config rdr” to verify the changes. If the changes are not materialized, then use the second method.

8. If successful, reboot your system.How to change my MAC (Physical) Address?
Thank you babolpaps. I could not get access to my network with a new laptop because of the MAC address of the NIC not being the correct one.

After trying various anwers from the internet I tried yours. The problem was solved with a few clicks and ';locally Administered Address';. Thanks again.

Report Abuse

No comments:

Post a Comment