Monday, November 22, 2010

How do I change my IP address?

I was banned from downloading from a torrent site for no reason, and I'm trying to change my IP address in order to get myself ';unbanned';. I am on a wireless network transmitted by my Linksys WRT300N router.



I logged into to the router setup page and tried various things, like releasing and renewing my IP, changing the lease time to 1 minute, cloning my MAC address, etc. I even tried switching from DHCP to a static IP that I assigned myself. I'm not sure I knew what I was doing and nothing seems to have worked.



I called Linksys and they said that they could change my IP for me, but for some sort of security reason they wouldn't do it unless I gave them the IP address of and ports used by the site I'm trying to unban myself (neither of which I know).



Can anyone tell me a way to change my IP by myself? 10 points if you can help me out.How do I change my IP address?
Not possible, unless you can call and convince your ISP to switch it. It is they who give you your IP address, so I don't know how Linksys claims they can do anything about it. Over time it may switch, but that could be days, weeks, or months.



I'm sorry my friend, but from the user end, this is simply not possible.



PS Using a proxy will do nothing for torrents. Try tapping into a neighbors connection.How do I change my IP address?
Your ISP controls your IP address.
use a proxy server you can not change it your self.



your isp will do it for you but they will charge you for a new address.









?
you can't just change your IP address whenever you like, it is how they identify and trace you on the web
You can't. But you can use a proxy to make your ip hidden

I use http://hidemyass.com sometimes, try that
1) There WAS a reason. You may not know it, and you may not agree with it if you find out what it is - but there is a reason. There's always a reason - no one bans random addresses. It may be a childish reason, it may be a reason that would be illegal it it was in real life, but there's a reason. And since it's their site, they make the rules. No one is legally required to let everyone access his website.



2) The only part of your IP address that you (or your provider) can change is a part that's not included in the ban, so changing it won't help.



3) Using a proxy server may work - if most proxy servers aren't banned on that server. But that's called ban evasion, and can lead to serious consequences - like your entire provider being banned. And, if it's a popular site, and customers complain, YOU lose your internet service.



4) Whoever you spoke to at Linksys was yanking your chain.
  • blue hair
  • phone
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment