Saturday, November 20, 2010

MAC address helper ?????

I have got a desktop PC(win XP pro) with LAN card(Realtek RTL8139D PCI Ethernet).Now I have got a

laptop with Win XP home with Realtek RTL 8139/810X Family fast Ehternet.

I have got a internet connection which I have to connect using PPPoE protocol,first I have to

enable my LAN card then log on to the internet.

When I connected the cable to my laptop and installed all drivers as well as PPPoE protocol and

tried to log on I was getting an error(wrong ID paswd),when I contacted my service provider they

told that they have got my MAC address binded with my User Id and password and that only 1 computer can connect to the internet at any time , and that if i wanted my laptop to be used for internet they would do that but my desktop can't be used to connect then.....I searched and got various sites indicating how to change the MAC address(as shown below)and I changed my Laptops MAC address to that of desktop(and confirmed the change using 'ipconfig/all'),but still when (after re-boot)tried I was not able to get connected,how to solve this issueIs it that along with the MAC address they(ISP) have got binded my NIC manufacturer also, for

that I tried to install 'Realtek RTL8139D PCI Ethernet' driver for my laptop but it was not

getting installed(probably as the cards are different it didnt accept the drivers).Please help me

ThanxMAC address helper ?????
As far as I know (and I'm not a computer genius here), the only way to change a MAC address is with a new card (I could be wrong, though).



Your best bet would probably be to invest in a router. I'm actually kind of surprised that your ISP didn't provide one, or give you the option of getting one through them. With a router, you can have up to three computers (usually) hard-wired in through a LAN line, and with your laptop you could connect wirelessly.MAC address helper ?????
Use the comp to connect to net and then through lan connection use the laptop. this is the only way. the permanent MAC address on the card cannot be wiped out
get a switch and choose in XP to allow other computes to access the internet through it's connection. Then you can connect through your laptop. Although unless you're on a college LAN or company LAN I would get a router and set it up that way.
Get a broadband router and give it the responsibility of making the PPPoE connection. The better routers will allow you to borrow the MAC address of the desktop computer... or you can insist that you need a hardware firewall in front of the computer, period, and give them the MAC address of the router.
as far as i know one cannt change the mac address of a lan card as it is a universal no. ie the mac no. that your lan card has is unique in the whole earth.using ipconfig u have probably changed ur ip adress. if u want both ur laptop and desktop to ave net then create a lan and use the inbuilt feature of windows XP ';ICS'; (internet connection sharing).

No comments:

Post a Comment