Wednesday, September 21, 2011

How can I keep the forwarded ports though my router going to the same computer?

I have a home network. The router has port forwarding, which you set by setting which IP address the ports are forwarded to. But as the computers come and go and are restarted, the router keeps assigning them different addresses, leading to the ports forwarding to different machines all the time, which I'm constantly manually correcting. I've tried setting up the computers with manual IP settings, or using DHCP with a manual IP address, but neither one will work- they only work when configured to use DHCP, and then the addresses keep changing. An old router I had let you reserve an IP address and always assign it to the same MAC address, so the same machine always had a static local IP, but my Linksys Wireless router doesn't appear to offer that. Any idea?How can I keep the forwarded ports though my router going to the same computer?
Depending on what model Linksys router you have, you can flash it to use a third-party firmware that opens up more options including assigning a static IP to a MAC address (so your computer will always have the same IP).



I don't believe there's a way you can do this with the default Linksys firmware. Again what you want is assigning an IP to a MAC Address which is in the DHCP server settings.How can I keep the forwarded ports though my router going to the same computer?
yes the best Idea is to go to each of the computers and setup a static IP address like this



start ... run

type in : cmd

at the promter type : ipconfig /all

write down all the information that is given in that window



now

start ... settings ... control panel

right-click on network connections and select open

right-click on local area connection and select properties

In General Tab

scroll down until you see Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and select it

click on Properties button below



a window pops out , In General Tab select use the following IP address

you must type an IP address

( I have a LinkSys also and given the gateway, or the router internal address is 192.168.1.1 I have put my IP as being 192.168.1.130)

Now from the paper you wrote down the data

type in the subnet mask ( in my case was 255.255.255.0)

type in the default gateway (in my case was 192.168.1.1 )



For the DNS server addresses select advanced

in DNS tab

DNS server addresses in order of use ..click add and add the result that you wrote down on the paper previously

click ok ok and then restart the computer

everything above works with DHCP



note . you have to do with the other computers the same thing otherwise you might have conflicts in establishing the IP



if you have problems let me know, email me



good luck

No comments:

Post a Comment