Tuesday, September 13, 2011

How to Get around my apartments mac filter on my xbox?

My apartment has WIFI through out the building. At first it was free and had no security and then they started charging. When they did this they asked for the mac address for any computer that would be using the service. I gave them my PCs mac address along with my XBOX 360s. Shortly after I was unable to connect to the network on my XBOX but fine on my PC. When i asked them about it they said they are not allowing online gaming. I then went and changed my XBOXs Mac address to the same one as my computer and so far its been working fine. My question is will they be able to figure this out and is there anything else i can do to prevent that? I am pretty sure when I gave them my MAC address I did mention that one was for my xbox but I am not 100%. I really do not know a lot when it comes to computers/networking so an answer in lame mans terms would really help me out.How to Get around my apartments mac filter on my xbox?
Lame mans terms? lol.

You mean layman's terms.



The online gaming restriction is interesting. Online gaming doesn't use that much bandwidth. I guess if you're using a shared community wifi they don't want to hear people complain about ping since everyone will likely be torrenting and eating up all available bandwidth anyway.



The best workaround you could do is get a router that is dd-wrt compatible ( http://www.dd-wrt.com ).

You can put this router into ';Client'; mode and connect it to their wireless with the MAC that you have given them. Then, from one IP you can have a complete computer network behind it, which will simultaneously service your PC and Xbox at the same time.How to Get around my apartments mac filter on my xbox?
They can tell if they know what they are doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment