Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Using own router with Road Runner Internet.?

I am current using the NetGear Router provided by Time Warner Road Runner. I have been paying $8 a month for home networking for almost 10 years.



I have some questions on how to buy and use my own router and save the $8 a month.



1.) Can I buy the same exact router that I have now and just copy the setting over to the new one or will I have to change the mac address or other settings?



2.) Can I use any Wireless G Router?



3.) I am currently using the NetGear WGR14 V6 from Road Runner. We get dropped connections all the time when using Wireless. It's so bad we had to buy a 100 ft eithernet cable for the laptop.

The router is currently 54mbs. Is there any other routers that you could recommend that would be better that this one?Using own router with Road Runner Internet.?
you can buy any router

I'm on tw cable with their modem and my router

buy a wireless n router, faster, 100mbs, I have linxys, with a wide range (for a home) $80.Using own router with Road Runner Internet.?
To answer all your questions...



Yes, you can use your own router with Road Runner.



You can use any Wireless G router. The WGR614 you have now is very common and you could purchase one, but since you say you have problems with dropped connections and such, I wouldn't recommend buying the same router you have now. You should look into a Wireless N router, since that's pretty much the standard now. Wireless N is backwards compatible with Wireless G.



As far as the settings, there shouldn't be any special settings that you need to set up. The most complex thing you may need to configure is the security settings for your wireless signal, but the software that comes with the new router will walk you through it step by step.



One thing to note. When you replace the router with a new one, make sure you disconnect the power from your cable modem for a few seconds so it will reboot. Most cable modems will only allow one device to be connected to them, so you have to reset them if you swap that one device.



On a side note, wireless is not a perfect technology, so even if you get a new router, you may still have dropped connections. Wireless will never be as good as a hardwired connection, just due to the nature of wireless technology - it will never be able to compete with a wire in terms of reliability.
Yes you can have your own. I live in Los Angeles and have time warner, they asked for $4 a month to rent there router. I bought my own but could not find the cable router that they have. I had to buy a modem and router, that cost me $100. The modem was $50 the router $30 something plus shipping. I whent with netgear router,and zoom modem.

No comments:

Post a Comment